- In line with our commitment to keep our customers informed, GAIN can confirm that at 9pm last night (Saturday 10 October), ED & F Man, an international supplier of the feed ingredient molasses, issued an “urgent action & recall notice” which stated:
“ED&F Man Liquid Products Ireland Ltd is informing you that products listed below are suspected of containing minute traces of the substance zilpaterol. Although the initial levels detected are extremely low, the substance in question is banned in the European Union.”
- Following the confirmation of an equine feed issue on Friday 2 October, GAIN undertook a forensic investigation which swiftly and accurately pinpointed the source.
- GAIN switched molasses supplier on Monday 5 October and resumed the production of equine feed following consultation with the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine (DAFM), who are the regulatory body responsible for the feed sector in Ireland.
- Deliveries to customers and retail outlets recommenced on Wednesday 7 October and the team are working to replenish stocks as quickly as possible across all markets.
- We again apologise sincerely to our valued customers for any inconvenience caused. The entire GAIN team would also like to thank customers and the equine community for the support shown to them in recent days.
- Zilpaterol is approved for use as a feed supplement to enhance performance in some beef production systems outside the EU. It is important to highlight that this substance has never formed part of any formulation in any GAIN animal nutrition ranges.